Wednesday, August 3, 2011

day 7

We spent the 7th class period on Transana, and I was pleasantly surprised at how open students were to it. I am least comfortable with Transana of all the programs, and I find following the tutorial to be painful, but I think it went okay with just a few technical glitches. This time around I feel like Transana makes more sense to me, especially since I have started using it for two projects recently. 


Tonight we meet in Centra as an example of a collaborative tool. We are going to try to cover way too many tools, but we had to combine two classes into one. I would like to next teach this course over 15 weeks. I would add a night for talking about historical discourses around technology and qualitative research, a night about ethical concerns/trustworthiness issues, and separate out the collaborative tools from the representation of the findings.


I'm not so happy with some of the readings on these topics, but I have found a few more since this syllabus "went to press" that I will probably substitute next time.

The last time I did a virtual classroom was in the spring using Elluminate, so I'm having to relearn the Centra functions. I'm having several students help out with parts of the presenting, so that should make it a little less boring for everyone to sit through 4.5 hours of Centra.

Monday will be the last day - students will engage in focus group-type discussions of lessons learned about the tools. I also clarified the methods section assignment and hope that no one has a breakdown over that assignment. With new courses it's hard to have all the pieces in place before the class starts, so I can imagine it may be causing some stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment